Thursday, February 26, 2015

Why do things have to be so freaking complicated??

I'm currently reading Orson Scott Card's book Pathfinder. 

There's a lot of good and bad to be said for this book, but the primary thing that has grasped my attention is it's fresh look at the world of Sci-Fi/Fantasy and the elements of it that we take for granted, for example, supernatural abilities. In the theory of Card's book, the anomalies that we normally percieve as "super powers" like super speed and invisibility can really be explained by time anomalies. Ultimately, they are all explained by scientific theories about time. For example, by skipping moments in time, since there is more space in atoms than there is matter, one can turn invisible (trading speed for stealth, unfortunately, since skipping time would slow down the Invisible considerably). Super speed can be explained by the speeding up of the mind or the slowing down of the world. 

And if you think that sounds complicated, with til you get to time folding. Or time travel. You haven't even stratched the surface of what Card has in his mind's eye here. 

This book, more than anything else, forces me to think about things I wouldn't normally think about, extending my mind to places I really don't like going. Even though Card makes his theories understandable, this series is, more than anything, a harsh reminder of just how big, fantastic, and freaking complicated the world is. 

On one hand, this really frustrates me. As Sherlock of the BBC once said, "I don't know. I don't like not knowing." One of humanities greatest qualities is their desire to know, to explore, to understand, so in that respect, this really ticks me off. Trying to wrap my mind around something that is so far above humanity we could never comprehend leaves me disappointed in my own insufficiancy. Even people like Orson Scott Card, as genius as he is, can only create theories. Complete underderstanding of time is a height I don't believe we'll ever reach, at least not in my lifetime.

But on the other hand, that's okay. In the words of Hank Green, "I am a towering mountain of ignorance. I don't know." Not knowing is both a beautiful and torturing thing. Perhaps it's best defined like that; beautiful torture. We will never know the ins and outs of time, never reach the outer reaches of the universe, will never understand the many mysteries of life, but that's partially what makes life beautiful, that we're going to continue to try to find out, and as we do will grow closer and closer to the creator who does understand the many, many things that we don't. He created them, after all. The Bible says that a day is like a thousand years to God, and a thousand years like a day (2 Peter 3:8) and that one day he will abolish all this timey wimey stuff once and for all and replace it with eternity, and then none of this will even matter.

So yes, I'm not afraid to admit that I am a towering mountain of ignorance, foolish and stupid. I DON'T KNOW. Life is too freaking complicated for a dumbarse like me to understand it, but that's okay. Because I know the one who does.

And that's all that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment