Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Real Talk: Distractions

Blarg. 

That's all I've really had to say about the last few days. I'm sure there's a word out there to describe the last few days but right now blarg is working fine. I don't even know what it means, I just know how it feels. Maybe I'll google it later. 

The last few days have just been blarg.  I've been held up on my documentary project (which I'll have out soon, Lord willing) due to car issues, so I'm stuck on that project. In the meantime I have a library book that's due when I haven't even finished the one I've been trying to read since December, and then there's school, completing the tremendously boring cycle of life. It's the cyyycle of liiiiife.....

That's not the point though. The point is it always feels like I am distracting myself. There are highlights in life when we aren't living the boring routine and are instead doing something fun and/or crazy but when examined closer those are really just distractions too. Distractions from what? I don't know, life maybe. Maybe we just want to distract ourselves from the chore of being alive. Sometimes these distractions are fun, sometimes they aren't, but there is always some sort of distraction to keep us at least slightly interested in something other than just being alive. 

But ultimately that's all the cycle is: distractions. In the end they are meaningless chores that spend our time, making us feel like we've accomplished something when really we haven't accomplished anything of real worth. So the question is what are the things that aren't distractions? What few things can we do that actually mean something?

I think that's the purpose of religion in the world, people striving for something more than the daily system. People striving for that more-ness that will make them feel like they've actually done something worth while, but religion eventually becomes a distraction as well. I'm ashamed to say that my beliefs often have turned into nothing more than distractions. I often lose what makes my time with God worth meaning and have replaced it with empty distractions, making me feel like I've done something, when in reality it's all just hay and stubble. 

I don't really feel like going any deeper than that. I've already given my brain enough to chew on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment